Thursday, December 9, 2010

LIPSTICK STORIES & COMMENTS

From susanne:
Great shtick about lipstick! 

Did you know that the average woman will consume almost 4 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime?  By that I really mean consume, as in eat!  We may as well consider lipstick a food.  Therefore, be sure you are getting clean, non-toxic lipsticks (available at your health food store) because there are all sorts of nasty chemicals in that tube, including heavy metals like bismuth and lead, along with other ingredients that can alter hormones and cause.... well, need I go any further?  You get the picture. Our kissing partners will appreciate a cleaner kiss as well.

Years ago, The Honolulu Advertiser did a piece on the shape of women's lipsticks -- that is, the resulting shape of the tip as it is applied over time.  Apparently is says something about the psychology of the person.  A soft round tip means the woman is tender and caring, flat might mean boring, while blunt means she is a practical, balanced and tells it like it is.  There are apparently many variations. 
 The hook!

When at lunch with my sister several years ago, after our meal she took out her lipstick to re-apply.  I immediately noticed that she displayed the ever so weird "hook." I never believed that a hook was possible so I just had to take this photo!  What does it say about her temperament?  Well, even she admits she's just a little crazy.  What's more, after examining my own lipsticks, I realized that there are multiple personalities applying color to my lips!

From wallyzworld:
Ha! Funny.  What's next?  Women putting on deodorant.... How many swipes?  How long after shaving? How to keep it off the clothes?


From kanadabasics:
Fun site & idea.  I remember my mother as always wearing deep red lipstick and dark pencil brows (her makeup regime started & stopped with the 1940s it seems).

Me, when I'm not ill, I 'have my slap on' as they say colloquially in the UK, graduating from very pale teen gloss back in the day to the use of lip liner (gawd, I used to have lips... where did they go?) and a few colors mixed on with a lip brush with a dot of shine bottom lip.  I ease into the day with coffee and make-up routine, the likes of which my own daughter totally eschews except for every now and again when I will hear a "Oh god, I want a true deep Dior red."  Drama queen!

I read somewhere you're supposed to throw out a lipstick after a few months due to germ contamination.  Ha!  My tubes of color mostly came free from 'special offers' and are so - um -'matured', their cases are ringed like trees.  

I think I want a job making up names for lipsticks.  Seriously.  In my case right now I have: Dubonnet, Think Bronze, All Heart, Pinkberry Stain, Bamboo Pink, A Different Grape & Guava Stain.  I'd go more literary.  Off the top of my head: Hemingway's Hint, Kingsolver's 
Kolor, Artful Austin. Sure you could come up with more!

From blacktess:
I discreetly use the slightly-open-mouth, no mirror, one-color style when in public; before jetting out the door in the morning, I use clear gloss applied with fingertip, rub lips together until somewhat absorbed, then do the lipstick thing, all with mirror. My problem has always been, and remains, age-appropriate color. The main thing, now that I'm 64, is using ENOUGH color. Everything seems to be fading out. Which raises the existential question: At what point do we begin to visually disappear? There could be some real advantages in this.

From inpeace:
I just ran into the bedroom and looked at my lipstick drawer. Got the same tubes you have, sister. I think I'm gonna throw out a bunch of em when I get back from Florida.

From sunny:
Loved it ... particularly the photos, but generally the whole concept.  Leave it to AA to know about lip foundation.  Who knew?  

Ode to the Lips

Lips, full, red, and supple
Lips, shrinking, fading, smearing
Lips, parting for sumptuous food 
Lips, forming to express words
Elastic flesh, kissing, smacking, whistling tunes
Blessed are the lips that gets adorned with the stick



2 comments:

  1. OH so lovely. . . all the LOVELY lips, and I'll send you the
    Italian lips when/if I find them. . . but I look a little fragile
    and my lipstick is crooked. . . must be the three glasses
    of champagne—

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're all having a great time!
    A neighbor of mine sold Avon in the '70s and she would apply her lipstick in the car before visiting a customer. One day she grabbed a tube of blue eye shadow, and without benefit of a mirror, she applied it to her lips! These days, no one would notice.

    ReplyDelete